Sezione Storica – Fondo Cartografico Losardo – Sala IX (Tav. LXVII)

Voyage de Naples à Messina (1845) (Hall IX) (pl. LXVII)

The map represents the journey from Naples to Messina taken by the publishers Epimaco and Pasquale Artaria, members of a family coming from Lombardy that worked as traders of prints and music publishers along three centuries. Eventually they split into two branches, one of which was active in Austria and Germany and the other in Italy. The Milanese branch has offered a significant contribution to the publishing history of the XIX century.

In 1828 the founder of the printing firm, Ferdinando, transferred the company to his two older children, while continuing the smaller trade business of music manuscripts. The company was thus named “Epimaco e Pasquale Artaria”. Epimaco, the most enterprising of the two brothers, paid a particular attention to music publications, trying to develop the business with the purchase of property rights of operas. But after a few years, following a financial crisis, Epimaco retired and Ferdinando was at the head of the firm again, which in 1837 assumed the name of “Ferdinando Artaria e Figlio”. The firm was active into five main sectors: maps, guides for travellers, views of cities and sites of tourist interest, various prints, sheet music. The cartographic activities were the speciality of the company from its beginning, but the firm was engaged more in trade than in publishing, except for some educational works as four road and postal maps of Italy published between 1810 and 1859. The firm had, among its clients, the Institute of Military Geography of Vienna, and later the equivalent Italian institute in Florence. The views were the main activity branch of the Milanese firm, for which concerns both quality and quantity. The best example is a tourist guide, La nuovissima guida dei viaggiatori in Italia, printed in Milan by Epimaco and Pasquale Artaria in 1845, published for the first time in 1831. The map in this showcase is one of the maps and itineraries included in the guide.

It is an engraving (430×390 mm) with an oriented representation and without any graduation nor indication of scale. This map was intended for travellers and focuses on roads and isthmian routes. We have, in fact, a road linking Rogliano to the Sila and San Giovanni in Fiore; along the valley of the river Crati, the road continued up to Rossano and towards the other side, finally connecting to the Tyrrhenian coast. The track of the ancient Via Popilia – the same as the A3 motorway of today – crossed the region from north to south.

 

67-tav.-LXVII-Voyage-de-Naples-á-Messina-1845